As the school year gets underway, use some of that new energy and make a conscious effort to reflect on your first week of teaching in Australia. Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. How much of an effort did I make to get to know my students?
2. What do my students know about me?
3. What did I learn from my students this week?
4. Did I set my classroom rules and have I been clear in communicating them?
5. Did I spent some time getting to know new colleagues?
6. Have I asked for help when I needed it or offered to help a new teacher?
7. What is my plan to communicate with the parents? When do I want to do this?
8. What are some new teaching techniques that I want to try this year?
9. How do I want my students to remember this year?
New and experienced teachers may have different things to reflect on, but for anyone starting in a new role there are a number of practical things everyone should check off to ensure a smooth transition. As the school year continues and things get busy take the time reflect on who you are as a teacher and what are the most important lessons you want your students to learn.