Teach Overseas FAQ

Kids from class in australia - teach overseas

Transparency and integrity are founding principals at Leading Out. As teachers, we understand there are many questions and concerns when it comes to making the decision to teach overseas. We hope to answer many of those burning questions here, but look forward to connecting with you over e-mail or Skype to personally address them in more detail.


Q: Where does Leading Out offer teaching jobs?
Once registered with us, you will have access to positions across the globe. However, we specialize in Australia, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates and Southeast Asia.

Q: Why should I sign up with Leading Out?
We are a network, not an agency! We’re just like you and we’ve been through this exact process ourselves. Travelling and teaching in many countries has helped us understand the changes you’ll experience when making the big move.

We are here for you. We aim to provide every support service to make sure your teach n’ travel experience will be as smooth and enjoyable as possible. We do not just provide CRT (supply) work; you will have access to a variety of employment options.

Q: What type of teaching positions are offered through Leading Out?
Leading Out provides teachers with regular day-to-day relief (supply) work, short and long-term bookings, contracts and permanent positions. Many teachers begin with relief (supply) work and quickly receive contracts through hard-work and strong relationships.

Q: What type of schools do you work with?
Leading Out has built relationships with various schools worldwide. We provide work in public, private/independent, single gender, urban, rural, and religious schools. It is important to note that while all schools require teachers, religious education has been increasing in demand.

Q: Can I accept a permanent or contract teaching job on my own?
As long as we have not previously sent you to the school, you may accept any permanent or contract position offered to you. If we have sent you to a school before, you must wait 6 months prior to your last day of teaching there to accept such an offer. This is an industry standard. Should you wish to accept the offer immediately, Leading Out must facilitate the contract.

Q: How long is the average commute for relief (supply) teachers?
This can vary from day-to-day. However, depending on where you live, most people on public transportation travel 40 minutes. Those that are open to traveling longer distances typically receive more work – of course, being an excellent teacher helps too.


Q: Will I need to book and pay for my flights?
In most cases it will be the teachers’ responsibility to book and pay for their own flights, but never fear! Leading Out provides their teachers with personal travel agents that offer preferential service and discounted airfare.

Q: Is housing provided?
Some schools do provide housing for their international employees. This may vary between fully furnished single apartments to unfurnished shared accommodation. If accommodation is not provided by the school, Leading Out will happily help arrange your personal housing.


Q: How much money can I expect to make and save?
As the cost of living varies from country to country and city to city, you can expect the wages to differ as well. This means that while one location may provide a high income, the cost of living may reduce your savings and vice versa.

Q: Will I receive any benefits?
Quite similar to your income, the benefits depend on the location and school of assignment. Benefits may include some or none of the following:

  • Paid airfare
  • Accommodation
  • Health plan
  • Relocation allowances
  • Bonuses


Q: Do I need to purchase health insurance?
While some schools may provide you with medical benefits, we always recommend that our teachers purchase private health insurance and medical care before departure. Safety is our number one concern, and it starts with choosing excellent coverage. Leading Out can assist you with this if required.

Q: Do I need a medical check before I leave?
Many schools do require a medical check prior to your departure. Regardless, we recommend you have one for your own peace of mind before heading off to live and work abroad. Depending on your teaching location, appropriate immunizations may also be recommended.


Q: How long does it take to receive my visa?
This really depends on the country of your teaching assignment. The process and can range anywhere from 1 week to 1 month. We always recommend that teachers start this process as soon as they’ve decided on where they want to teach, to make sure everything is set in place before they leave.

Q: Am I expected to pay for my working visa?
Yes, in most cases the teacher will be required to purchase their own working visa. Again, this is specific to the school and location, but most often teachers are expected to take care of their visa.

Q: How do I acquire my working visa?
Leading Out will help guide you through the process; most applications can be done quickly and easily online.


Q: Which parts of Melbourne, Australia do you provide work in?
Leading Out provides work in every suburb of Melbourne. However, some suburbs require more teachers than others.

Q: Can I still teach with Leading Out if I have already arrived in Australia?
Definitely! As long as you have a work visa, we can assist you. You will need to be VIT (Victoria Institute of Teaching) certified, or have certification from another state before you can teach in the schools. Keep in mind that if you have not registered with VIT, this process can take at least a month and requires documentation from your home country (ex. recent police check, transcripts, etc.) So contact Leading Out and start teaching as soon as possible!

Q: When is the best time to teach in Australia?
The school year runs from the end of January until mid-December. Most casual relief teaching and short-term vacancies are during the months of March to November.

Q: How much work will I get and can I get a short-term contract?
This answer depends on the time of year, your qualifications, and the rapport the teacher (yes, you) has built at the local schools. 80% of our teachers interested in contract work have been placed in short-term contracts through Leading Out. Casual relief teaching and short-term vacancies appear between March – November, however the beginning and end of the school year are much slower. The amount of work available also depends on your location in the city, your flexibility with travel and your teaching focus.

If you happen to be in Australia during the months that schools are on holiday (December – February), we suggest taking the opportunity to explore the country or work in a different discipline such as retail, waitressing, bartending, etc.

Q: Do I need to be available to work everyday?
Working whenever requested helps build rapport with schools – that’s a good thing. However, you are welcome to book off any time you may want for vacation or personal reasons. Let us know your availability week-to-week and we will work it out with you.

Q: Can Leading Out assist me if I want to teach in other States?
Absolutely! Our network of schools and teachers is constantly growing, which means more opportunities for everyone. Please contact us to see other vacancies we have available.

Q: Can I work in Australia and for how long?
If you are under 31, then the Working Holiday Visa (417), will allow you to work and travel for one year. One limitation is that you can only work under one employer for a maximum of six months. Conversely, the advantage with this visa is that you can work for one year at as many jobs, for as many hours as you would like in addition to travelling. The visa application process can be completed online and usually takes two weeks.
Dpt. of Immigration and Citizenship
Working Holiday Visa – General Information
Visa Costs
Online Application
Countries eligible for the 417 Working Holiday Visa:
Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland,? France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan,? Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan?, Unitied States (equivalent), and United Kingdom.

Q: If I am over 31, can I still teach in Australia?
Yes you can, but you would be unable to work under the Working Holiday Maker Visa (417). You would need to be sponsored by a school or business under the Temporary Business Sponsorship Visa (457). If you are interested in obtaining more information, please go to: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/index.htm

Q: When my 417 visa expires after one year, can I stay longer and work?
Yes you can, once you consider these two options:
1. If you have completed 3 months of specified work in regional Australia within the time constraints of your first Working Holiday visa.
2. Via Business Sponsorship Visa. This would require obtaining a full-time position with sponsorship. It’s more common than you might think. For more information, please go to: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/index.htm

Q: Do I need to be registered in order to teach in Melbourne, Australia?
Teachers who are coming to Melbourne need to register with the Victoria Institute of Teaching (VIT) to have all of their qualifications recognized (www.vit.vic.edu.au). All teachers are required to have VIT certification in order to teach in the state of Victoria. The application process can take up to 2 months and can only be sent by mail. This is something to consider early in your decision to teach in Australia. Other states have similar teaching associations and teachers must be registered with the correct association. For details on other States in Australia, please contact Leading Out.

Q: Can I apply for VIT registration before I graduate teachers college and receive my final transcripts?
Yes! In fact, VIT recommends that anyone completing their degree should send in all other registration forms and documentation to the department. Once you have received your final transcripts, a certified copy must be sent to them to process your application

Q: Are there other international teachers in Melbourne?
In fact, there are many! Our teachers are mainly from Canada, UK, USA, and NZ. We’ve even organized a mentor group (The “MC”) where we connect teachers who can help each other professionally and socially.

Q: How much do teachers get paid?
This depends on your teaching experience and which state you decide to teach in.? Teachers can expect to make ~ $200-250 per day. In addition to your pay, employers must also provide 9% superannuation compensation (pension plan). You can apply for your superannuation when you leave Australia.

Q: Do I need a car to teach in Australia?
We strongly recommended you have a car in order to increase the number of days you can work.

Register Now Button


Facebook IconYouTube IconTwitter IconVisit Our FlickrVisit Our FlickrVisit Our FlickrVisit Our Flickr