5 things to love about Footy/Australian Rules Football/AFL/Aussie Rules?
- If you like sports & athletics, this is the sport for you! A combination of rugby, soccer, basketball, football all put together with a heck of a lot of running (cricket oval size field).
- Fast pace, few interruptions – the game flows withonly stoppage if someone is hurt or between 30 minute quarters. Referees are around and you hear the whistle a lot but it doesn’t really actually stop the flow of the game at all (unlike Netball!)
- High scoring games – since there are few interruptions then it allows for the score to get pretty high which keeps things eventful and you never know who will win!
- The fans – if you have not been to a footy game in Melbourne before, then I cannot suggest anything more important to do when you are here (between April – September). The first thing that people will ask you is who do you barrack for? Which means who is your footy team? Then when you go to a game, you better be wearing team colours or people will wonder why you are there! The pride of fans is insane with at least 40,000 people showing up at every game (an thats with at least 4 games in Melbourne every weekend!)
- It’s cheap to go watch – yes live sport for a fraction of the price compared to North American Sports. For only $20 you can get a general admission ticket at Etihad Stadium and Melbourne Cricket Ground and see the game perfectly! Plus you will get a few characters up in the general admission seats which is always a bit of fun!